What is No-Gi Jiu-jitsu and why should you train in it?
Traditional Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is practiced wearing the kimono, or “gi”. When training in this method there are numerous grips that can be made to control your partner and perform chokes. When you remove the gi and train in just shorts and a compression shirt it is called “no-gi”. The benefits to training in this method are several.
Top 5 benefits of training No-Gi
- No-Gi Jiu-jitsu is the best preparation for MMA and No-gi competition: When preparing for a Mixed Martial Arts or No-gi specific competition, competitors often times only wear shorts (compression top as well for women). And the rules clearly state that you may not grab your opponents clothing in any manner during the fight. Therefore, learning the proper controls and grips are essential for properly preparing for an MMA or no gi jiu-jitsu contest.
- Getting out of your comfort zone: For many BJJ students, there is a heavy dependence on the grips of the gi. By removing this element, jiu-jitsu students are forced to adapt, modify and adjust their approach. A different style emerges and the student learn how to deal with the change of circumstance. This type of training is invaluable as a martial artist and keeps you sharp and always learning.
- Dealing with a faster paced grappling match: Since there are no grips on the uniform, the matches tend to move at a faster pace than average. This fast pace requires that athletes increase the anaerobic performance and improve their recovery time. No matter how technical a Jiu-jitsu fighter is, when the gas tank runs dry everyone is a day 1 white belt again. No gi training will have a positive boost in your cardiovascular performance
- Realistic self defense: In a real self defense situation, in would be rare if not impossible to find yourself squaring off against a thug dressed in a gi. However, he/she would not likely be wearing a “no-gi” outfit either. By training in both gi and no gi you will be best prepared to defend yourself in a real life situation if need be.
- It’s super fun!: Most people’s favorite reason for training No-Gi BJJ is that it’s just a really good time. It’s sweaty and slippery but it is an incredibly enjoyable way to get into great shape, learn some real skills and connect with other like minded martial arts students
Hopefully now you can see why you should be training in No Gi BJJ Classes. If you’re not convinced yet, just give it a try for a little while. You will certainly learn something new and will likely make it a part of your ongoing Jiu-jitsu training.
Professor Travis Tooke is the founder and CEO of Team Tooke Mixed Martial Arts Academy. He is a 4th degree Brazilian Jiu-jitsu black belt and teaches the advanced BJJ classes at Team Tooke. He is still an active competitor in both gi and no gi jiu-jitsu competitions and has competed all over the world.
Team Tooke Mixed Martial Arts
10111 Grant Rd Suite R
Houston, TX 77070